Housed in a remarkable building, the Model School opened in July 1862. One of a number of Model Schools dotted over the country, it was non-sectarian with the different religions of the pupils being respected. Part of the schools function was training for future teachers. Fees varying between 5/- and 1/1 per term were levied, although in certain circumstances this could be paid 1d per week.
Boarders, male and female, were fed, in part, from the school’s own kitchen gardens. Circumstances have changed, but the Model, now a primary school, still provides a valued service in an area where education has long been valued.
The Newtownards Model is a school with an outstanding tradition of educational excellence in the town and district. Family links going back many years remain a positive feature and all pupils are expected to uphold the high standards within the school.