Learning Support at the Model
In Learning Support we aim to build confidence, provide opportunities for children to succeed and help each child to develop his/her full potential in Maths and Literacy.
Pupils who receive Learning Support have an opportunity to learn in a small group setting or 1:1, each session lasting approximately 30 minutes, 2 or 3 times weekly.
Learning Support Teachers
The Role of the Learning Support Teacher
The Learning Support Teachers have a responsibility to:
· Work in conjunction with the SENCO to identify pupils’ needs.
· Work in conjunction with the SENCO and class teachers to draw up education plans and identify targets for pupils who have special educational needs.
· Provide withdrawal support for pupils with special educational needs
· Participate and contribute to reviews regarding a pupil’s progress
· Review each child’s progress on an agreed date
'Catch Up' Programme
We deliver a 'Catch Up' Programme for pupils who are underachieving in literacy. This is delivered twice a week for 8 to 10 weeks by Mrs Ringland, Mrs Gould and Mrs Miskimmin.
The programme has proved very successful with improved results in reading and spelling ages in the majority of pupils who have taken part.
An important part of the programme is liaising with parents through parent workshops and regular interviews throughout the programme.
Arrangements for passing information to parents
Two rooms are set aside, one for Literacy and the other for Maths where each Learning Support Teacher is based. Each room is well equipped with a selection of specialised equipment, including an Interactive Whiteboard as well as a laptop for each pupil.